Passengers are carried on Irish Citylink services subject to the following terms and conditions.
"The Company" means ComfortDelGro Irish Citylink Ltd. t/a Citylink which undertakes the provision of the services. The company enters into a contract with the passenger upon the following terms and conditions set out for and on behalf of itself, its employees, agents and subcontractors. It is entirely within the discretion of the company as to who operates Citylink services.
A ticket that has been issued to you is evidence of a contract between you and the Company. If the ticket entitles you to any goods or services from a third party, it is also evidence of a contract between you and that party.
Tickets are issued subject to these conditions, the conditions relating to certain types of reduced and discounted fare tickets set out in the notices and other publications issued by the company and the conditions set out in the notices and other publications issued by another party if your ticket enables you to use any of their goods and services.
Tickets issued by Citylink are not transferable. Break of journey is not permitted except at an interchange point for completion of a journey by another coach on the same day.
INFORMATION AND PUBLICITY
Full details of the times and fares of services are available from appointed booking offices and agents and on the website at www.citylink.ie. These are subject to variation. Special holiday timetables may operate on public holidays and passengers are advised to check times with the company before making travelling arrangements. Relevant publicity material on the company’s services is available through the company’s offices and agents.
BUYING A TICKET AND SEAT RESERVATIONS
2. Types of journey:
A reservation can be made for travel on the majority of services. A ticket bearing a valid reservation reference provides travel between the points shown on the date(s) and at the departure time(s) shown on the ticket. On all other services, whether a ticket is obtained from an appointed agent in advance of travel, or a fare is offered to the driver at the time of boarding, ticket holders are not bound or entitled to travel on any particular vehicle, except as set out above. The Company will not be liable for any loss or inconvenience suffered by the holders of such tickets owing to their not being able to find accommodation on the particular vehicle on which they desire or is booked to travel.
3. "Open" dated returns:
If, when buying a return ticket for travel on a reservable journey, no date is specified for a return journey, i.e. an "open-dated" return ticket is purchased, this may subsequently be validated by any appointed agent, in advance of travel, to travel on a specific departure. Any applicable excess fare must also be paid at time of validation. “Open-dated” return tickets expire one month after date of issue and must be used within this time frame.
4. Alterations to tickets
An alteration to a ticket may be made at any agent in addition to any excess fare, provided that the request is made prior to the time indicated in publicity, and subject to seats being available. It may not be altered after the departure date unless the ticket has been cancelled at an appointed agent before that date, and the altered ticket represents are booking. Separate conditions apply to Free Concessionary Travel. See Section 12.
5. Bookings made with the driver on boarding:
Drivers and company officials can issue tickets at the time of departure subject to seats being available and subject to any local rules and regulations governing such sales at the relevant point of departure. Such return tickets will only be issued as "open-dated" return tickets but may be validated at an appointed agent to guarantee accommodation on a reserved journey where accommodation is available.
6. Your contract with the company:
A ticket that has been issued to you is evidence of a contract between you and the company. If the ticket entitles you to any goods or services from a third party, it is also evidence of a contract between you and that party.
7. You may not transfer your ticket:
A ticket may only be used by the person for whom it has been bought. It cannot be resold or passed on to anyone else.
8. Requirement to hold a ticket:
You have the right to use the company’s services if you hold a ticket or other authority to travel which is valid for those services you want to make. Please retain your ticket for inspection at any time whilst on board the coach.
9. Conditions on which tickets are issued:
Each ticket is issued subject to:
§ these Conditions;
§ the conditions relating to certain types of reduced and discounted fare tickets set out in the notices and other publications issued by the company and
In the interest of safety, unaccompanied children under 14 years of age will not knowingly be carried on any of our Express services in any circumstances. Accompanying adults must be over 18 years old.
Children wearing a school uniform may purchase tickets and travel on our Commuter services, providing the journey is less than 25 kilometers.
11. Children under the age of four are classed as infants and one infant will be able to travel for free accompanied by an adult fare-paying passenger. Seats for infants can be reserved by contacting us at 091 564 164. Any additional infants, accompanied by the same adult will be charged at child fares.
12. Concessionary travel schemes:
Where a Citylink service is part of the Free Travel scheme, on presentation to the driver of a valid Department of Family and Social Affairs Free Travel Pass the holder, and companion if appropriate, will be entitled to travel free of charge.
Should the company suspect misuse of a Free Travel Pass it reserves the right to retain the pass and forward to the appropriate agencies.
Free travel will only be provided on the basis that the customer presents a valid travel pass at the time of travel.
VALIDITY OF TICKETS
13. The period during which you can use a ticket:
The period during which a ticket is valid is printed on the ticket or stated in the notices and other publications of the company. Day return tickets are issued for journeys when the outward and return departures are commenced on the same calendar day. Monthly return tickets allow travel on any day. The return journey must be completed within one calendar month of the outward journey.
14. The times you can travel and the services you can use:
Reduced and discounted fare tickets are usually subject to restrictions such as the dates, days, and times when you can use them, and the services on which they can be used. These restrictions are set out in the notices and other publications of the company.
If you travel on a service with a ticket which is not valid on that service because of such a published restriction, you will have to purchase a full price ticket for the journey made.
The following special conditions apply to e-Tickets:
§ No refunds will be made in relation to e-Tickets whether before or after the date of travel.
§ As with any other ticket purchased in relation to travel on any one of the company's services, e-Tickets are not transferable and are only valid on the journey for which they were booked.
§ e-Tickets are like any other ticket purchased in relation to travel on the company's services - if you cannot produce a valid ticket you will not be able to travel.
§ If we have reason to suspect the fraudulent use of an e-Ticket, we reserve the right to confiscate it and prevent you from travelling on our services. In such an event we reserve the right to take further proceedings should we see fit. No refund will be made in relation to any e-Ticket confiscated under this special condition.
§ Changes can be made to the time and date of the ticket only. The destination or route cannot be amended. If you book a ticket for two or more people and one person decides not to travel or to travel on a different service, unfortunately we cannot split your ticket.
USE OF TICKETS
16. Breaking or ending a journey at intermediate places:
A break of journey is only allowed for interchange purposes. In such instances the passenger must travel on the first available connecting service. Failure to comply will result in the passenger having to purchase a full price ticket for the journey made.
17. If you travel further than your ticket allows:If you travel to a place beyond the one specified on your ticket, you will be treated as having joined the coach without a valid ticket for that additional part of your journey and a full price ticket will have to be purchased as if it were a separate journey.
18. Withdrawal of tickets:
If you fail in a material respect to comply with any condition that governs the use of a ticket, the staff or agents of the company may withdraw the ticket.
19. Tickets are non refundable:
Refund requests may only be made by writing to the Customer Service Team at Citylink, 17 Forster Street, Galway. Citylink will only consider refunding a ticket if the reason for the cancellation is in some way caused by the company being at fault for example a late departure of a vehicle. Should you choose to travel on another one of our services as a replacement then no refund will be given. Or if extenuating circumstances arise being that you would be unable to travel such cases would be considered on an individual basis.
20. No refund will be given on tickets received after the specified outward departure time unless clear evidence (i.e. medical certificate) is produced of inability to travel on that date. Refunds will not be considered in respect of any ticket after the expiry of 28 days from that date.
21. The company will not refund or replace lost or stolen tickets. New tickets must be purchased for travel. If the original tickets are found they should be sent to the Customer Service Manager with the receipt portion of the new ticket and a covering letter, where a refund will be made of the cost of the replacement ticket and may be subject to an administration fee of €3.00 per ticket used.
22. Weekly and monthly tickets:Weekly tickets are valid for seven days travel from the date of ticket issue.
§ Refunds requests can only be made in writing to the Customer Service Team prior to the first date of travel.
§ No refund will be made for days on which the ticket was not used.
§ The company will not refund or replace lost or stolen weekly tickets.
23. Please check tickets and change at the time they are issued:
When you buy a ticket, you should make sure that it is valid for the journey you want to make and that you have received the correct change. If possible, you should tell staff about any apparent errors at that time. If you do not, the company or agent which sold you the ticket will only consider claims about any errors if you can show to its reasonable satisfaction that an error was made.
24. Arriving in time to board the coach:
Passengers who have reserved tickets should arrive at the boarding point for their coach no later than 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. This is to ensure smooth and safe boarding of the service and on-time scheduled departure. The company reserves the right to allow the purchase of tickets from the Driver of any remaining seats including those of any booked passenger that has failed to arrive prior to 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time. No responsibility for any loss can be accepted in such circumstances. We offer flexibility whereby you can board the next available service. We offer the flexibility whereby you can board the next available service within the same day, on the same route.
You are responsible for making sure that you join the correct coach and that you get off at the right stop.
26. Inspection of tickets:
You must show and, when required, hand over for inspection, a valid ticket and any accompanying discount card at the request of the staff of the company or its agent.
27. If your ticket is spoiled or altered:
If a ticket is defaced, damaged or tampered with it is not valid for travel. The company reserves the right to refuse to issue a replacement ticket in such circumstances.
28. Lost or mislaid tickets:
A ticket is your evidence of your right to make a journey and its safe keeping is your responsibility. Lost or mislaid tickets will not be replaced nor will refunds be made in respect of them.
29. When you have to change coaches:
If it is necessary to change coaches you will be responsible for your transfer between stops and for the transfer of your luggage.
30. Making time for connections:
Passengers must allow plenty of time for their coach journey to arrive in time to connect with other forms of transport provided by other carriers or before an appointment when travelling to important appointments. The company does not accept responsibility for any delays caused by circumstances beyond our control.
31. Comfort breaks:
Short halts are made on some routes for refreshments. Passengers must return to the coach punctually within the time allowed for these halts. Coaches may have to proceed without a passenger who fails to rejoin the coach at the prescribed time as set out in the timetable or as prescribed by the driver. The company will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by such an occurrence.
32. More than one person travelling on one ticket:
Where two or more people are included on the same ticket, the person purchasing the ticket shall be deemed to do so on the basis that he or she acts as agent for both or all the members of the party and accepts these conditions on behalf of each member of the party.
33. Making sure you are at the correct stop at the correct time:
The company cannot accept responsibility if you are not at the correct stop at least 15 minutes before the coach is due to depart. If you miss the coach you will be required to purchase a new ticket on a later vehicle.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMPANY
34. It is the company’s responsibility to carry the passengers, with the minimum discomfort and inconvenience to the destination shown on the ticket. However sometimes, due to circumstances beyond the company’s control, coach services are disrupted or cancelled.
35. The company shall not be in breach of its obligations to carry the passengers if a service is cancelled due to circumstances beyond its reasonable control, which shall be deemed to include, but not be limited to exceptional severe weather conditions, accidents causing delays on the coach service route, fire and/or damage at a coach station, compliance with requests of the police, deaths and accidents on the road, vandalism and terrorism and acts of God.
36. In the event of any failure by the Company to fulfil its obligations due to a circumstance beyond its reasonable control, the passenger shall be entitled to a refund of their ticket price but the company shall have no additional liability beyond this.
37. If the company fails to carry the passenger to their destination as shown on their ticket for any reason not otherwise excluded (for instance, and in particular due to a mechanical breakdown of the Citylink coach), the company shall, at its own expense, arrange or provide alternative transport, such as another coach,train, private car, taxi etc to complete the journey as soon as reasonably practical having regard to the circumstances and provided that the Company does so within a reasonable time, it shall have no other liability as a result of any delay in performing its obligations.
38. Limitation of Liability for Breach of Contract:
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in these terms, the company’s liability for any failure on its part to carry the passenger to the destination shown on the ticket shall be limited to reimbursing the passenger for the reasonable cost of alternative travel to such destination by coach, train, private car or taxi (or any combination of them) and the passenger shall be reimbursed on presentation to the company’s office at 17 Forster Street, Galway of the appropriate receipt or other voucher for the cost of such travel. In particular, but without prejudice to the above paragraph, the company shall have no liability for any consequential losses of the passenger as a result of failure by the Company to fulfil its obligations.
ON BOARD COMFORT
In the interest of all passengers the following "comfort "rules will apply:
The playing on coaches and in coach stations of radios, cassette or CD players, personal stereos, musical instruments is not permitted. However, provided that the driver of a coach is satisfied that the sound of a personal stereo does not cause offence or inconvenience either to himself/herself or to the other passengers, he/she may allow an exception to this requirement. A coach is a confined area and passengers should only use mobile phones where essential.
40. Alcoholic drinks:
Passengers are not permitted to take alcoholic drinks onto coaches for the purpose of consuming them on board, nor to drink such drinks on the coach or to remain on the coach when in the opinion of the driver they are under the influence of alcoholic drink.
41. No smoking policy:
Passengers are not permitted to smoke in any vehicle operated by the company and all coach stations. The company is entitled to request offending passengers to remove themselves from the coach or coach station if they do not comply with a request to desist from smoking.
42. Drug and solvent abuse:
Passengers are not permitted to board or remain on board any of the company’s services whilst under the influence of drugs and/or solvents.
Certain seats may occasionally be reserved for passengers with disabilities. Passengers should always comply with any requests from staff to make such seats available. If you have an special requirements, please contact the company at least 48 hours in advance of travelling. We are happy to help with any enquiries.
44. Food and beverages:
Passengers are not allowed to take onto our coaches any hot or odorous foods e.g. chips, takeaway meals etc. Hot drinks are permitted if they have a secure lid. We are entitled to refuse access to any passenger with hot or odorous foods.
45. Attire and Personal Hygiene:
Appropriate attire and personal hygiene is required at all times while using our services. Footwear and shirts must be worn at all times. Personal hygiene must be maintained in a manner that does not result in an unpleasant and/or offensive odour to such an extent that the person responsible for delivering the services determines it causes nuisance, unreasonably interferes with the use, operation or enjoyment of Citylink services by any person, or creates an unsafe condition. Offensive odours, for the purposes of this term, may arise from a number of sources, including but not limited to one's body, possessions, or clothing.
We have the right to refuse you entry if we have reason to believe that your behaviour jeopradizes the safety, security and comfort of others, or if you behave in a manner that is abusive, threatening or causes offence to other customers or staff.
47. We Kindly request that bags are not placed on Passenger seats. Seats are for Passengers only and carry-on luggage must be capable of being placed in the overhead luggage rack or under the seat in front.
48. The company reserves the right to refuse entry or to remove from the company's vehicles any passenger who shall be or, in the opinion of the driver or other company official, appears to be in breach of any of these comfort rules. Any passenger so refused or removed shall not be entitled to any refund or compensation whatsoever from the company and the company shall have no liability to the passenger whatsoever.
LUGGAGE AND PERSONAL PROPERTY
48. Neither the company nor its servants, agents or subcontractors are common carriers and luggage and personal property for carriage will only be accepted on these conditions.
49. We reserve the right to refuse to carry in the hold more than one suitcase or similar package of luggage and more than one small bag inside the coach. Additional luggage may be carried subject to accommodation being available within the vehicle. Should your luggage exceed this then a surcharge of €5.00 per item will be charged and this is only on the understanding that we have available capacity on the vehicle.
50. Wherever possible, the company will assist the wheelchair bound passenger. Folding wheelchairs will be carried where possible however battery-powered wheelchairs cannot be carried. The company can offer no guarantee that a member of staff trained in the correct lifting and handling of the wheelchair bound passenger will be available to offer assistance. It is therefore incumbent on the passenger to make suitable arrangements to have a qualified person available to assist at boarding, departing or connecting point.
51. Prohibited luggage: The company is not obliged to carry any of the following items of luggage and passengers may not bring them onto the coach - any weapons, drugs or solvents (other than medications), live or dead animals, fish or insects.
52. The company reserves the right to refuse trunks or other bulky articles, or articles of an objectionable or dangerous nature or which have sharp or protruding edges which may tear or damage other luggage with which it is packed within the coach. The company is also entitled to request any passenger to open any article of luggage for inspection by the driver or other authorized employee of the company in the presence of the passenger if, for reasons of security, the company considers it necessary to do so.
53. Subject to availability of accommodation and payment of the appropriate charge, bicycles and skis/surfboards will be carried provided they are packed in such a way as to prevent damage to other luggage. Fragile items such as electronic goods, portable televisions, radios etc. will only be carried if they are of reasonable size and securely packed. The Company will not be responsible for damage to such items howsoever caused.
54. Passengers are responsible for getting themselves and their luggage onto the correct service. If the company’s staff assists with luggage, it is still the passenger’s responsibility to see it on and off the coach. The passenger must also look after his or her luggage at all times including whilst at coach stations, stops and on the coach. Medication and valuables should not be stowed in the luggage hold but taken on board. The company's liability is limited to €100 per passenger and passengers are advised to ensure that they have proper insurance if their luggage is worth more than this.
55. Luggage given into the custody of the company must be clearly and appropriately labelled and securely packed and locked/fastened. The passenger's destination should be shown on the outside of the luggage.
56. The Company will not be liable for loss or damage to passengers luggage or to any possessions of the passenger unless such a loss or damage is caused by negligence on the part of the company, its servants or agents; and, in the event of the Company being liable for loss or damage under this clause, its liability in such case shall be limited to the sum of €100 for any single claim. Where an item of luggage contains items belonging to more than one person, only one claim will be considered by the company. The company's liability will be limited to €25 for any one item within the luggage lost or damaged. The company will not be liable for any monetary loss whatsoever. This includes currency, valuable securities such as cheques, money orders, premium bonds and certificates and all other items which may be valued in money or money's worth. The Company recommends passengers to insure their luggage and personal property.
57. Loss of luggage or personal property must be notified immediately to a Company employee and also to the local Garda Station. The Company reserves the right to levy a charge for storage and return of lost property.
CARRIAGE OF ANIMALS
58. Animals, other than guide dogs accompanying registered blind persons and hearing dogs accompanying deaf persons, will not be carried on the Company’s services.
59. If an animal is taken on board without the driver’s permission the passenger will be required to remove it.
60. The published running times of services are approximate only and the company does not undertake that services will start or arrive at the time specified in its timetables or that such services will connect with other services shown as connecting services.
61. Except as provided in these terms, the company will not be held liable for any loss howsoever arising or caused as a result of any delay to such services or by the same not operating in accordance with their published timings.
62. The Company reserves the right to alter its timetables or suspend, cancel or withdraw services or departures or other facilities without notice, whether before or after a passenger has booked accommodation on the same.
63. The right is reserved to provide carriage between the points stated on the ticket issued to the passenger by means other than the vehicles scheduled to run on the journeys to which the ticket relates.
64. Any arrangements for hotel accommodation, meals, refreshments, admissions to or for the use of premises,vehicles (including coaches), trains, ferries, aircraft or other means of conveyance operated by persons or bodies other than the Company are made by the company as agent for and on behalf of the passenger, on the express condition that the Company shall not be liable for any loss, damage, injury, delay or inconvenience howsoever caused to the passenger as a result of any such arrangements for such matters or use thereof. Such arrangements are subject to any by-laws, regulations or conditions of the provider of the facility.
65. Any ticket sold or arrangement entered into on behalf of the passenger is on the condition that the laws of Ireland shall apply to the contract arising and to the determination of the rights and liabilities of the respective parties and that no action or other proceedings shall be brought by either party in relation to the contract or for damages independent of such contract except in a court of competent jurisdiction in Ireland.
66. Introductory and special offers
Special offer tickets are available to purchase online only and do not apply to on-board purchasing.They apply only to a predetermined travel time and to a limited number of seats.